Friday, January 21, 2011

The Irony and (lack of) Critical Thinking

Sometimes the concept of irony comes up in my classroom. It's not an easy definition. But you know it when you hear it. A recent staff meeting made it all too clear.

The Irony

As a teacher you dare not make mention of the challenges the students bring to your room. If you are worth a damn your engaging instruction will be enough to lure them in, keep them coming, and they will achieve dammit!

But when pressed about safety issues and hall walkers in the school, we are treated with a lengthy description of the challenges our school faces because of all the transfers from other high schools and the numerous “shelter house” and recently-incarcerated students we take in throughout the year.

And somehow, my percentage of failing students is supposed to be a reflection of me as a teacher? But I can't refer to the same challenges? Hmm...

I'm so confused now I don't know if this is irony or hypocrisy?

The Critical Thinking

The number one thing principals don't like discussing is the safety or control of their building. Somehow we made this a topic recently. But rest assured, the data, yes, “the data” which we love so much in DCPS says that our school has fewer arrests and serious incidents than most of the other high schools. And while “rigor” in my classroom is held to a standard far above the abilities of my students, the level of rigor for management of our schools is pathetically weak. Seriously, it was basically said that as long as we're not having gang fights and muggings we are doing pretty well.

Now, as a person who has studied statistics (and I think most of us in the room were supposed to at one time) I was wondering why someone would tout our fewer arrests as a feather in our cap? Clearly the question screams—are our numbers low because our building is so calm or is it that we aren't catching or prosecuting kids who commit serious misbehavior? (Or is smoking weed in the building not serious anymore?)

The bottom line was that we were supposed to be happy that we don't have the mayhem that goes on in other schools. Sorry, that's not rigor.

How do we solve the pervasive DCPS problem of poorly controlled schools? I have at least one or two common sense ideas I will get to next time. What are your ideas?

5 comments:

  1. The problem is DCPS does not know how to fix the schools--especially the high schools. This is why Rhee gave a way Dunbar, Coolidge and Anacostia. DCPS is about to give away two more elementary schools (I think) because they are unable to do it themselves.

    In the meantime, those of us working in schools that have chronically failed are left in a holding pattern with no help or resources from the central administration.

    Your description of your school’s leadership sounds extremely familiar as I face the same problem at my DCPS school. Unfortunately, Rhee's obsession with teachers obscured a key missing component to school success--administration. Henderson does not offer much else as she and the rest of central office bought into Rhee’s philosophy on school reform. We cannot begin true reform until we get a new leader in who understands urban education and its complexity. I’m not hopeful from what I see with Gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schooled in DC--it's difficult to leave a comment. I had to try several times before I was able to leave my 5:59 pm post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I am new at this, I didn't know I had not allowed anonymous commenting. I made that change today and I am hoping your difficulties came before that. Thanks for the info.
    Itsalltrue70

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, I too wondered why, if Rhee were so smart, we had to outsource the fixing of our schools. I thought that was exactly the reason she was hired and given the lofty title "Chancellor." Of course those of us in the schools knew that outsourcing would not work.

    I also can't agree more that LEADERSHIP at the school level is/was an overlooked and HUGE piece of the puzzle. That topic will probably become a post unto itself.
    Itsalltrue70

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember the new education reform philosophy embraces the business model. Therefore, outsourcing is perfectly acceptable and even preferred.

    This is especially true when you have people in positions of power who have little to no experience in education. But that is what Rhee's reform model is all about- no experience necessary. All you have to have is the "right" mentality.

    ReplyDelete